Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Matter "Paneer"

So I'm on an Indian cuisine kick and this totally turned out better than I thought it would. According to my sister, it's the "most delicious" dish I've made for my blog so far. Again, this is completely vegan since I used tofu instead of paneer cheese. I ran out of regular onions, so I used what I had on hand (green onions).

1 15-ounce packaged of extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil spread
3 green onions, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
2 whole dried red chilis
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water

Lightly fry the tofu cubes in the vegetable oil until edges are slightly brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Melt the vegetable oil spread in the pan and add the green onions, garlic, cumin seeds, and red chilis. Let ingredients fry for a minute and add the turmeric, chili powder and coriander. Continue to cook the spices for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Add the water, salt, peas and tofu back into the pan and bring everything to a boil. Boil until water is reduced by half, then lower heat and cover pan. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve with basmati rice and/or naan bread. Yield: 4 servings

No comments: